Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cranberry Orange & Blueberry Lemon Scones



Why choose between Cranberry Orange or Blueberry Lemon? I decided to combine both into one recipe. I made these on a whim this weekend, and shortly after my mom and step-dad came over for a visit. Of course they couldn't leave without trying my new creation (even after having some of my roommates birthday cake). I knew these were good when I closed the door after saying goodbye and I heard my step-dad say to my mom "She is seriously a great baker!" So there's proof that these are pretty darn tastey!


Cranberry Orange & Blueberry Lemon Scones


2 C. flour
1/3 C. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
7 Tbsp. butter, chopped into small cubes, then chilled
1/2 C. dried blueberries
1/3 C. dried cranberries
1 tsp. orange zest
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla
2/3 C. + 3 Tbsp. whole milk (or buttermilk)
1 egg yolk
Sprinkling sugar


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Add the butter and cut the dough using a pastry cutter (I ended up using my fingers after a while) until the dough resembles a coarse meal. Add the blueberries, cranberries, and zest. In a separate bowl, whisk together the extracts, 2/3 cup milk, and egg yolk. Add to the dry mixture and stir until just combined (do not overmix). Place dough on a sheet of parchment paper and press into the shape of a rectangle. Cut the dough into squares, then triangles. Space the triangles out on the sheet of parchment or use a new piece to bake on. Just before baking, brush the tops of the scones with the remaining 3 tablespoons milk and sprinkle with the sugar. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 minutes (just until slightly browned).



No comments:

Post a Comment