Sunday, June 20, 2010

Halibut with Roasted Fennel, Carrots, and Mushrooms



I decided to try a new eating strategy this weekend (excluding the college reunion festivities on Saturday). It involves cutting out starches from meals...except pasta. I just made up that rule because I can't live without pasta. Why the crazy change you ask? Well, I joined in on a "Biggest Loser" competition at work this week, so it got the wheels turning. I'm not one to support dieting, but I'm an advocate for eating smart. I mean, I cook for fun. Diet is not in my vocabulary.

My thought was for any meal with the usual protein, potato, and vegetable, that I cut out the potato and substitute with another vegetable. In theory, this sounds like a boring regime. Are you picturing mounds of bland broccoli and frozen mixed vegetables? No, no, no. That would give me nightmares too. My trick to this plan is to have a salad with every meal as the other vegetable. That way you can get creative with toppings, dressings, and veggies. That just gave me the idea for a mexi-ranch salad for later this week.

I've been dying to make halibut on my own since visiting Seattle, so here's my first attempt. I served the fish over roasted vegetables with a side Caesar salad. It was delish, and I am so not craving the missing starch...

4 Servings

1 bunch carrots, washed and cut into strips
1 large fennel bulb, trimmed and sliced
1-8 oz. package sliced mushrooms
1-2 tsp. fennel seeds
Salt and Pepper
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 C. water
4-6 oz. portions halibut

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In a large roasting pan, toss the carrots, fennel, mushrooms, fennel seed, salt, pepper, and olive oil together. Roast in the oven covered for 15 minutes.



In the meantime, prepare the fish portions by seasoning with salt and pepper.

Once the 15 minutes are up, take the veggies out of the oven and toss/turn to prevent from burning.

Next, place the fish portions atop the vegetables, cover, and cook 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness of fish). Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment