Saturday, June 5, 2010

Grilled Cheese and Cherry Salad


Random, huh? I was inspired by an article I read this week about dressing up salads for main courses. And well, I had cherries, veggies, and grilled cheese fixings that seemed to call out my name. Shockingly, it was pretty darn tasty and a good way to use up things I had in the fridge. The balsamic vinaigrette and cherries really work well together. I hope you like it as much as I did!

For the salad:
1 pkg. lettuce
1/2 C. pitted and chopped fresh cherries
4-6 radishes, sliced and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
4-6 baby carrots, sliced and chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 C. cucumber, sliced
2 slices bread
2 slices American cheese
Butter

For the dressing:
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and pepper

In a large bowl, toss the lettuce, cherries, radishes, carrots, and cucumber together. Set aside and make grilled cheese.

(To make grilled cheese slather butter on 1 side of each bread. Place 1 slice of bread grease side down in a non-stick skillet. Top with cheese and remaining slice of bread with the grease side up. Grill until golden, flip, grill till golden on the other side and cheese is melted. I really hope we all know how to do this, but I felt obligated to type this out).

Once grilled cheese is ready, set aside and allow to cool slightly. While this is cooling, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Carefully cut the grilled cheese into cubes and serve atop salad mixture and add the vinaigrette dressing to your preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment