Thursday, July 15, 2010

Potato Leek Soup

I feel guilty that it's been a while since we've seen each other. Summer has gotten the best of me with weddings, homework, and an ailing roommate. But the good news I'm here now :)

The garden is blooming and I've made a few more trips to Home Depot due to some hungry rabbits. There will be no peas or broccoli this year :( But I did learn a thing or two about calcium levels in soil and how to treat it. Are you bored yet?

So anyways...I have been cooking. You wouldn't think so with my lack of posts, but I swear. I just can't share my summer hobby with you yet. In the meantime though, here is my latest creation for my roommate. She just got out of the hospital and made this special request. Let's hope it's got healing powers!

Remember, you must wash the leeks thoroughly or you will get itty bits of sand in your mouth. And I have to put a plug in for free-range organic chicken broth. Check out my pictures below of it and notice that it's not even clear like normal broth...So worth it.

Potato and Leek Soup

2-1/2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
2-1/2 lbs. leeks, green ends removed, sliced, and rinsed clean
1/2 C. celery
6 C. chicken broth
Salt and Pepper
1 C. heavy cream
juice of 1 lime
2 Tbsp. olive oil

In a large stock pot, combine the potatoes, leeks, celery, stock, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for 35 minutes -- just until the vegetables are tender. Once the vegetables are tender, uncover, remove from heat, and allow to cool for 20 minutes.



Using a hand blender (or multiple batches in a blender), puree the cooled soup mixture until smooth.

Finally, using a large spoon, stir in the cream and lime juice. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Heat through before serving.

I recommend serving with crumbled bacon bits and chives.








No comments:

Post a Comment