Monday, January 10, 2011

A Taste of Seattle


Last year I visited Seattle and fell in love with both the city and the food. One of my favorite dishes was an appetizer we had at Ivar's - manila clams in broth. It sounds simple, but I wish I could explain how amazing it was. So this last week I happened to stumble upon some fresh manila clams at Coastal Seafoods. And I bet you can only imagine what happened next...I did my best, but it still couldn't compare to the authentic thing. Still, you'll love this broth. Mmm.

2 lbs. fresh manilla clams, rinsed clean
1/4 C. butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium shallot, minced
1 C. white wine
Salt and pepper
Fresh chives
Fresh tarragon
French bread

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and shallot. Saute until soft (about 5 minutes). Stir in the wine and season with the salt and pepper. Once combined, add the clams. Raise the heat to high, cover, and cook until the clams have opened up -- about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the fresh herbs. Serve in deep bowls with the bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment