Sunday, October 24, 2010

Ladies Afternoon Get-Together

Today I've invited my family and friends over for one of those "parties". If I've ever sworn off that I would never do something in my lifetime, it was hosting one of these. There's no way I would guilt my family and friends into coming over to my house to buy something...it's just something I never said I'd do.

But here I am. Against all odds. My friend at work started representing a company called Norwex this fall, and I fell in love. I went to her party (of course with many reservations - more of less to support her). And what do you know, I did the inevitable and signed up to host by the end of the night.

What I like best about it is that it's all natural. It's a tech-savy material that they use in all the cleaning rags and dusters. No need for cleaners. Straight up tools. That's usually what I buy at parties like these anyhow -- the practical things. If it were Pampered Chef, I might stock up on the necessities like spatulas, but I would never buy a useless gadget. And if it were Tastefully Simple, I would probably only buy one small thing (to be a good sport), sitting there thinking I could make a way better and healthier version myself at home.

So it's the day of the party. I tried coercing my family and friends into coming just for the food, but I think many of them had the same typical reservations as I did myself. I'm hoping it's a decent turnout...Because I spent all week focusing on a menu of goodies. I party is a party. And if I get to cook, I'm going to whoop it up!

Here's today's menu:
  • Brie with Fig Spread and Pita Chips
  • Hot Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Pita Chips
  • Raosted Butternut Squash Salad with Warm Cider Vinaigrette
  • Apple Cheddar Sausage Balls with Dijon-Balsamic Glaze
  • Shrimp Cocktail
  • Orange and Cinnamon Spiced Nut Mix
  • Pumpkin Bars

You may recognize the salad, it's from September's Food and Wine Club menu. Most of these are well rated recipes I found online with a few personal touches. Be sure to check out the festive pumpkin bars. I've been eyeing up the baking pan at Williams-Sonoma since early September. Good thing I had an occasion to break down and purchase it!

Here's to a good party. I hope you try some of these recipes!

Pictures to come shortly :)

No comments:

Post a Comment