Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Steak Tacos




I'm not much of a meat-eater, so if you haven't noticed the majority of my recipes are vegetarian or have a small amount of protein. This week, I had some beautiful ribeye steaks from Whole Foods that I wanted to use but didn't have the heart to eat all by themselves. Luckily I had some homemade salsa in the fridge and all the other fixings listed below. I'm like my own grocery store sometimes. One of the highlights of this recipe is the smoked alderwood salt that I had. It's super smoky and gives the steak the extra depth of flavor it needs. (I happened to get mine at Target, but I'm sure you could find it at other specialty markets.) When you've got steak this good, you can't mess it up with anything else than the simple stuff.


Steak Tacos

Serves 6

1-1/2 lbs. beef ribeye steak (about 2 1-inch thick steaks)
smoked sea salt or fajita seasoning
pepper
1 medium yellow onion, sliced lengthwise then in strips
1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
olive oil

cheese (optional)
1/2 a head of red cabbage, shredded
1 avocado, sliced
salsa
sour cream (optional)
6-8 pita bread circles (look for the softest bag at the store)

Preheat grill over high heat. Allow the meat to adjust to room temperature and season with salt or fajita seasoning. Using a large sheet of tinfoil, pinch the corners to create a make-shift tray. Toss the onion and pepper with olive oil and salt and pepper in the tray.


Grill over high heat 3-5 minutes. Toss the veggies and continue cooking. After the first toss, place the steaks on the open flame portion of the grill. Cook 4-5 minutes per side until cooked to your liking. Continue stirring the vegetables. Remove veggies and steaks from the grill. Cover with fresh pieces of foil to keep warm.



When ready to eat (I recommend 5 minutes max after taking the steaks off the grill), slice the steak perpendicular to the grain so that the muscle is cut into the shortest strains possible (this makes it tender and easier to eat). Top with cheese, cabbage, avocado, salsa, and sour cream. I highly recommend homemade salsa (see previous post on how to make).


No comments:

Post a Comment