Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Magic Bus Cafe Food Truck



While shopping at the Midtown Farmer's Market this weekend, I stumbled upon another local food truck that I've been hearing about. The Magic Bus Cafe - otherwise known as the big purple bus. Even though my tummy was full, I knew what I had to do. I had to eat there. So I could share with you. Now that's what I call commitment.

New to me, I quickly learned that the Magic Bus specializes in hot dogs. What I really liked about the cafe was that they gave you a choice with your hot dog - regular, grass fed, or tofu. That alone is enough to praise them for their work. However, as a friend of mine pointed out, we wondered if they cooked the tofu dogs on the same grill. Afterall, if it's cooked in the same grill, it sort of defeats the purpose. Not really in the mood for an extravagant dog (such as the curry dog), I went for the plain chili dog with a grass fed link.

Before I get to the food review, I have to comment on the service and the price. First impression, the personnel were lacking a bit of energy. It's not like anyone was rude, but the energy at the farmer's market didn't really match the woman that helped me. After I stood up on the platform (so I could reach the ordering window) I talked with her about recommendations and my interest with the mango relish. Even though I didn't order the dog with the mango relish, she was kind enough to get a sample for me on the side. Maybe it's just me, but for some reason I don't have the same expectations for service with the food trucks as I do restaurants...I suppose you should keep that in mind when I continue to review them. Now on the the price, the normal chili dog was $5, and for $0.50 more you could get a grass fed dog or tofu. I didn't think it was too bad (especially since I had just paid $6 for a breakfast sandwich a few feet away at the Dandelion Kitchen).

My thoughts on the chili dog were just so-so. I liked that the bun was whole grain, but it was a little dry or perhaps just too much bread. The dog had a good meaty texture and the chili was chili. Overall, it was just OK. A basic chili dog. Maybe I should have tried something more fancy, but I would still think that this standard would be one of their better combinations.

I give the Magic Bus Cafe 3 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment