Friday, May 14, 2010

Bread Pudding


Yesterday after visiting the farmer's market, I met some friends for happy hour. While visiting with these lovely ladies, we started a discussion about bread pudding. Yeah, when you talk to me things always turn to food. As we were finishing up our appetizer, we had our stomachs set on 2 orders of bread pudding. But then came the bad news...there was only one serving left. Selflessly (or not so selflessly) I let my friend secure the last order and reluctantly I got chocolate cake instead (not a hard sell by any means). But anyhow, this discussion got me thinking of taking a stab at it myself. I've rarely ever tasted this dessert, but now that I made this delicious dish today, I think I'll be working on some new variations. Don't forget the almond extract - it's my secret weapon. In the words of my roommate "I didn't think bread pudding was something I'd ever try. I like bread pudding. This is sooo good." Adapted from a recipe by Giada de Laurentis.

Bread Pudding:
1 large loaf Challah bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
8 eggs
1 1/2 C. whipping cream
2 1/2 C. whole milk
1 1/4 C. sugar
1 tsp. pure almond extract

Amaretto Sauce:
1 C. whipping cream
1 C. whole milk
6 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 amaretto liquor
4 tsp. cornstarch

For the sauce: combine the cream, milk, and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. In a small dish stir together the amaretto and cornstarch. Once the cream mixture reaches a boil (keep stirring frequently), add the amaretto mixture and continue boiling and stirring for 2 minutes. Let cool and set aside until ready to serve.


For the bread pudding: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, milk, sugar, and extract. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish (or 10 mini loaf pans as pictured here) and fill with bread cubes. Pour egg mixture over bread an let sit for 30 minutes.





Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake bread mixture 30-40 minutes for a 9x13-inch pan or 15-20 for mini loafs until just golden. Cool and serve with amaretto sauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment