Monday, May 10, 2010

Strawberry Shortcake



I had some strawberries that were on the verge of going in the garbage...definitely not worth eating by themselves, but I felt guilty throwing them out. So what did I do? I made strawberry sauce and these lovely shortcake biscuits.

Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry sauce:
1 pt. strawberries, washed and sliced
1/8 C. red wine
1/8 C. water
4 Tbsp. agave nectar (or sugar)

Shortcake:
2 C. whole wheat pastry flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbsp. butter, cut into small cubes
2 Tbsp. unrefined virgin coconut oil (or shortening)
3/4 C. soy milk (or milk)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. agave nectar (or sugar)
2 Tbsp. butter melted
3 Tbsp. granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

For the strawberry sauce, combine the strawberries, wine, water, and agave nectar. Refrigerate until ready to serve.



For the shortcake, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Cut in the butter and coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse meal. In another bowl, whisk together the soy milk, vanilla, and agave nectar. Mix liquid mixture into the dry mixture until well combined.




Using an ice cream scooper, scoop dough onto a baking sheet. Push down on the dough to flatten slightly. Brush with the melted butter and sprinkle the sugar on top. Bake 8-10 minutes until lightly golden around the edges.





Allow to cool. Cut biscuits in half, and fill with strawberries and sauce. Serve with whip cream if you desire. I think these would be awesome for breakfast with honey butter as well.


1 comment:

  1. Holy yum yum yum! I'll have to try this recipe! I don't usually keep agave on hand. It's pretty sweet for me, but I wonder how it'd taste if I substituted with organic brown rice syrup or raw honey. Hehe, I may just ruin a good recipe.

    ReplyDelete